While kids will most likely be thrilled with a hot dog and a bag of chips, why not try something a bit more exciting so your tailgate party will be even more special to the little ones?
CHICKEN PINEAPPLE KABOBS
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (reserve juice)
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 16 bamboo skewers soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- Place the chicken, cut peppers and pineapple chunks in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of reserved pineapple juice, honey, soy sauce and oil. Pour honey mixture over chicken mixture and toss to coat well. Marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Thread chicken, peppers and pineapple onto skewers in an alternating fashion. Brush with any remaining marinade. Place in a container and keep on ice as you travel to your tailgate destination.
- Place on the barbecue and grill until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Cool slightly and serve warm.
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA QUESADILLIAS
- 1/4-1/2 cup peanut butter, depending on how much peanut butter you like!
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas (regular or whole wheat)
- 2 firm bananas sliced
- Raisins (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Heat gas or charcoal grill
- Spread half the peanut butter on 2 tortillas, then dot with banana slices – sprinkle with raisins, if desired
- Spread the rest of the peanut butter on remaining tortillas, and place on top of the first ones
- Spray lightly with cooking spray and place on the grill
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until toasted – flip once during grilling
- You can also make these ahead of time, and just spray lightly before grilling once you arrive at your tailgate party
For more kid friendly tailgating tips, check out this blog about kid friendly tailgating tips.